Maha Shivaratri 2016 in Assagao, Goa – March 7
This year, 2016, Maha Shivaratri is celebrated on March 7th. After a very successful Mahashivaratri celebration last year at my dhuni in Assagao, Goa, we’ve decided to make it a one week vrat this year.
Shivaratri Puja, aratis, & bhajans
3 Day Rudra Yajna-Vedic Fire Sacrifice
performed by the esteemed purohits of Mookambika Maa Shakti Pith, Kollur, Karnataka
All Night Maha Shivaratri Puja & Music
Midnight abhishek of Narmadeshwar Shiva Linga
Significance of Mahashivaratri in Indian Tradition:
Besides marrying Parvati, at this cosmic moment, Shiva
- manifests Himself as the Shivalinga,
- performs His tandava dance, creating, maintaining, and destroying the universe in a second,
- manifests the syllables of Speech, known as the Shiva Sutras or Maheshwar Sutras
- During the Churning of the Milky Way for the Nectar of Immortality, drinks the Halahal, the cosmic poison, to save the world
- Reveals the Mahamritunjaya mantra
Last year (2015) midnight Mahashivaratri abhiskek of Shiv Linga.
How to find the Dhuni: